Thursday, July 30, 2009

I dunno...

The saying goes - what so ever happens, happens for the good. And as we all are the always surrounded by questions, the simplest question here would be - Does it? Is it ok for people to be sad? Is it ok for people to lose the ones they love, is it ok for earth quakes to happen, or for the ship to drown? I sort of believe in the above statement, but its in the character to challenge the inevitable. I’m sitting here right now at one of the most, lets say, prestigious hotels in the city of Mumbai - the city which never sleeps; the city where the population explosion beats itself every time. There was an advertisement of Bajaj Pulsar I believe a few years back, the jingle of which sang - Khud se hi aage har kadam. Its just so apt for the census board of Mumbai, isn’t it? Its amazing how this city has nurtured so many people from all around India, and yet keeps its arms wide open to accept even more. Not a guarantee that the hospitality might be even close to good, yet Indians are just allured to this huge commercial capital. So jumping back to my ‘prestigious’ hotel -The Taj Presidency. I’m waiting for my friend here who has a presentation on the floor above. The table next to me, a guy is desperately trying to convince some clients maybe, for a software he’s probably selling. Few overly dressed ladies are clicking their heels in, some kitty party I suppose. I’m getting bored, not enjoying the weird paintings on the walls which is somehow reminding me of the movie -The Ring, not enjoying the sweet smell of artificial lime, the dim lights which are hurting my eyes as I’m straining to read my computer, not enjoying the huge bouquet of daffodils and roses in the central reception or the exquisite interiors. Why? I don’t know. Does being alone in a city of 1 billion make you this way? Mumbai - where people run to live, eat, sleep, practically everything has to be done in a quicker than the normal pace. And I’m here, in between all this mess, I like to call it, trying to make my little space, building up my little world, and running along with the others. Why? I don’t know. I’m known in my office circle, I’m loved by the kids I teach, I’m an active member of my trekking club and salsa club, I’m a huge party animal, and at the end I have only friends I can count on my finger tips. The lights are dimming further, which is subduing me further. My one time best friend, the best invention I thanked the lords for, the mobile phone, has grown so close to me I feel that its intruding me private times. Like the college boyfriend who becomes obsessive and grows possessive with every passing day, my cell phone has just become a liability to carry around. it’s a savior at times, but on a major, I put on my favorite song has my ring tone and let the phone ring - that’s the only way I can enjoy a call from people now. I’m hungry now. And I would love nothing but a walk alone to the corner kebab rolls and munch on the hot stuff with Nickelback playing in my ears. That’s the moments I cherish now. And my friend is back, so I can stop this here and try to retrieve the old myself who loved nothing but good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment